Not sure how or why this one popped out of the stash pile. I’ve fondled its fine styrene lines a few times from the box and I even had the Aires cockpit set in the aftermarket box. This is the Revell version (not Promodeler) and is the version with the 50mm cannon; a bomber buster.
I decided to build up the fuselage first, starting with the resin cockpit. It is a very nice set and replaces an okay cockpit from the kit. But you can see from the kit detail compared to the Aires detail, it adds a lot (even though most of it you can’t see after you button it up.
The cockpit is made up of a rear gunner section and a forward cockpit including details like seat cushions and a photo-etch set for instruments, seatbelts, and levers. Here they are all painted up looking pretty good. The cockpit was painted with Vallejo Model Air, sealed with Future, and weathered with oils and pastels. Chipping and details were painted with a mix of paints, mostly Testors enamels.
It took a little sanding down of the resin parts to get it to fit and once it was at the right place the cockpit just slid into place.
The method I used was to glue the fuselage together and then push the rear cockpit into the fuselage. The backend of the top of the cockpit has to go into the fuselage so that the raised feature is aligned with the beginning of the top of the fuselage. A certain part of the Aires cockpit top needs to go back into the fuselage. Like this
It took me a while to figure this out. Once that is done you can glue the front part of the cockpit to the top of the cockpit and it should all fit nicely. I used the front window of the fuselage to ensure the fuselage would close up properly and the rest of the parts like lower gun covers and cockpit glass would fit. And you can see here they do.
Next up is completing the cockpit by finishing the cockpit roll bars, rear gun site, masking the canopy, and gluing that into place, then we will start with the wings and the Aires engine set.