Progress on the 1/48 Navy builds

Been making some progress on the 1/48 Kingfisher and F4U-5N.  The -5N is all sealed up and I’ve started to test fit the wing to the fuselage.  I suspect that this one will be ready for painting all too quickly.  I’m already starting to geek out on how to paint and weather her all black.

IMG_0328 IMG_0351 IMG_0354

I love using the MEK for my cement but it has a tendency to get away.  Not shown here but oddly one of my eye brow hairs got loose on the model and when I applied the MEK it somehow wicked along the hair on the wing leaving me something else to sand smooth.  Never have I…

I really like the engineering and fit of the F4U.  It’s a ProModeler kit (I’m almost sure it Hasegawa) and it’s the second PM kit I’ve built this year and both have been outstanding builds.  This one has a few more ejection marks in bad places but the fit has so far been great

That said, I’m also completing the inside of the Kingfisher.  Best part is that the wings are already mounted so when I glue the fuselage together it will almost be ready for painting as well.  I’m already thinking about what kind of base would look good for this; catapult, in the water, or a 1/2 ramp-1/2 water on dollies looking like it’s half out of water.  Hmm…  One of the best parts of modeling is the planning; shaking the box, thinking about building, planning and replanning the markings (what kind of decals can I get), do I put it on a base or not, etc.  I think I spend more time thinking than building, but I’m trying to change that this year!

 IMG_0326  IMG_0324  IMG_0325

As you can see by the last photo I am scratch building the life raft structure into the behind the cockpit area.  The Lone Star resin set adds so much to this old Monogram kit.

The tail of two cockpits continues

After a couple of days off I went back to work on the ProModeler F4U-5N and Monogram Kingfisher cockpits.

The F4U kit comes with two instrument decals for it’s instrument panel.  I don’t think I’ve seen this done before where you paint the panel black and apply just the white highlights in a decal.  Here is a shot of the other (non-radar) panel decals.


I took the other copy and, using my trusty Waldron punch set, knocked out each instrument and applied them individually to the panel.  Seem to look okay and was better than painting them but might still be lacking that little something.



We’ll have to see how it looks inside the plane.

Started weathering both cockpits; applying a raw umber wash and once dry tomorrow they’ll get pastels and dry brushing.  Looking forward to sealing both kit’s fuselages up as I think the builds will go really fast after that.  (Note the painted kingfisher panel for a different look than the decals!)

IMG_0312 IMG_0313