Just completed an AFV Knox Class Frigate. I’ve had this around for years and it is a bit special as I completed my 3rd class Midshipman cruise on her in the summer of 1974.
The kit uses the Flagship model PE set. It worked pretty well but I had a lot of trouble learning how to attach the railings. I even purchased the “How To” CD from Flagship – it didn’t really help despite being touted as “everything you ever wanted to know about photo-etch”. It told me a lot about how to make photo-etch and how to bend but nothing on helping me with glues and how to attach complicated parts. Not recommended.
I needed to scratch build the BPMDS (Sea Sparrow) launch on the aft deck in place of the CWIS gun and cut up the decals to represent 1063 as I knew her.
The kit had a few area on the hull that needed attention due to sink holes. But generally the fit was good and the kit and photo-etch structures went together well.
Here’s the final result. A final learning is that I used pastels to gently weather the kit like I do on aircraft kits but found on haze gray that the colors get darker with a coat of Dullcoat.
Finally pushed through the Kingfisher. Once you get the model basically done it amazes me how much other stuff still needs to get added, painted, attached, etc. until the kits considered done. And I always forget something (still need to paint the nav light – okay it’s not done!). Here are some shots.
The model is in it’s future resting place after I add sand and water to the inside of the diorama box. But I think I’ll put it aside for a few days and get back to the summer of Messerschmitt. One Eduard and one Monogram kit are just about ready for painting. After having to fill and sand the Monogram kit I realized I was going to have to rescribe the fuselage, didn’t quite get away. I think I can still leave the wings with original raised lines. I want to see how the two kits compare when completed.
Cockpit is almost done, working on the canopy fit, seams filled up nicely on the nose and I have painted it black. I used the new TruColor line of pints here for the first time and they cover well without thinning.
TruColor is supposed to be a replacement for my old Floquil line and the first try with black was good.
Next are the inlets I have been working to fair into the model. Starboard side looks good but I see I have some more putty to make for the port intake.
Rear end is painted Alcad dark aluminum in prep for eventual painting. Seams look good here as well.
Thanks for checking in. Got to keep reducing the universe’s entropy one glue joint at a time.