Spent most of Friday night looking for the Eduard canopy mask set that came with my Profipak Bf-110. But sadly, I wasn’t able to find it after looking in all the right places. I’m sure I set it aside for later and now is then, but alas…
So tonight I started down the joyful path of using parafilm and carefully covering the canopy sections and with a very sharp scalpel blade cutting the sections to be painted out. I have never been able to do this well as in 1/72 scale the eyes, even with the 2.50 glasses, still struggles to get the lines even and straight. But it is my penance for loosing the masks.
I still have two other bf-110 canopies to go. I realized that the Monogram canopy is not wide enough, probably because I stuffed an Eduard cockpit into the Monogram kit so time to pull out one of those tricks from yesteryear before perfect kits; I split the canopy and and added a strip of sheet styrene in the middle to widen it. I had already test fired the Mattel Vacuform (covered in a previous blog) so once sanded smooth I’ll make another thin canopy for the Monogram kit so I can open it up. I will probably use another old trick; painted cut thin scotch tape for the canopy frames.
Here’s some shot of the Monogram canopy under rework.
I also put my Celluclay into the diorama for the Kingfisher. Let it dry and add sand, plants, and color tomorrow, then Kingfisher and water. I have it bolted down to the bench to the board doesn’t warp with the wet clay.