It has been over a week since I painted the Kingfisher. I used the D-Tack blue stuff again on this to create the tri-color soft camo and it seemed to work well. I may never have to freehand an airbrush job again.
The kit is coming right along, and I have started weathering and decaling it. The decals were few; star and bars, hull number, and a few stenciles. Looks very simple and elegant.
I have parked this one for a bit while I have been working on the three Bf-110s. I am building two Eduard 1/72 and one Monogram 1/72. The Monogram one is a kit I bought in 1967. I have wanted to paint a Bf-110 in all black night fighter camo since I was in middle school.
The first kit is the Eduard profipack and had all of the color photo etch and masks. It’s my first time using pre-painted photo etch. Colors are a little bright but it’s like the D-tack stuff – never have to paint an instrument panel again, and in 1/72 that can be some intricate work. (Not sure I like the photo etched seatbelts either!)
The kit went together like a dream. It’s been a long time since I built a 1/72 scale kit and the new technologies are amazing. Only problem I had was the the top of the wings didn’t quite come up quite high enough which meant I had to do a little filing and fitting. I’ll see if that is any different on the last Eduard I build (#3)
After completing the first kit, I am going to pull the cockpit parts out of the Eduard #3 kit and put them into the Monogram kit. I did a bit of a test fit using the cockpit from the first Eduard kit to see how it would look in the Monogram kit. I needed to Dremel away some plastic in the monogram kit but it looks like I have a possibility to make it work (remember the Monogram kit comes with just a pilot and a few odd things inside, but no cockpit.
The third kit, the other Eduard kit, will get treated to the Eduard Bf-110 Big Sin set which included cockpit, engine, forward gun bay, and wheels. The set (in 1/72 scale) looks wonderful and intricate. More photos on that in the coming posts.