Been a few days since I have had time to hobby.
I am soldering out of brass a set of engine mounts for a Fw-190 so that I can mount a CMK BMW 801 engine.
The brass tubing I am using is just the right size for the engine mount. The biggest issue I had to overcome to get started was how far forward did the ring, which comes in the CMK kit (and to which all other engine parts attach), should be. I found the answer in this picture in the Model Art Fw-190 book.
Since I know where the windshield ends, and I know where the guns show out of the cover, I can use those two data points to allign the ring distance from the bulkhead.
I am soldering brass with silver solder and a flux kit I bought at Tammies Hobbies.
The idea is that I clean up the brass tubing (rub the oxidation off with a scotchbrite pad), align the tubs in my trusty x-acto holder, put a piece of brass wire between the two (whcih will become the “mount”), put a drop of flux on the connection, heat it up with the old trusty soldering torch, and add solder. And the little tiny drop of solder runs into the tubes and holds it all together. (I’ll have to clean it all up so that it looks better after I get the whole thing done).
I need to add the rest final two tubes another night.