The Flying Banana. Yet another heavier than air machine from my youth. I used to think that the twin rotors were so cool compared to the other helicopters of the day.
Receive this from my daughter for Christmas. She and my wife have been great making Christmas special with a kit or two
I am building this out of the box. The kit, although well designed, is simple. Italeri has provided a few perks like photo etch seatbelts and some grating and engine bay details but generally, the overall insides are simple. Given all the space exposed, there is a real opportunity for making a really cool super-detailed model of this kit but that’s not in the cards for me for this one. There are other kits to get to.
The cockpit and insides build up pretty quickly after some painting. There is a boatload of ejector pin towers and recesses that would need to be dealt with to make this a super kit.
The engine compartment is also visible on the real aircraft so Italeri provides a rudimentary engine and bulkheads for the rear of the helicopter including a grating on the top and doors that can be positioned open on the bottom. Again, a canvas for the AMS modeler.
Here is the interior mostly put together.
Before I can put the interior together I need to put the 9 oval windows in from the inside and I want them masked. I tried first to put a piece of masking tape over the hole where the windows go and then cut out the mask shape but the results are too jagged. Instead, I use my favorite window masking agent, Parafilm. Cut a small piece of Parafilm, stretch it out, apply it to the window then carefully trim off the excess.
I will then mount the windows and after painting the Parafilm will just peel off. It’s magical!
Next up, sealing her up!
I don’t make very many helicopter models. Built this Huey to try out the Antarctic decals I had for many 1/72 scale copters and started with the Huey.
A couple of uh-ohs during decaling;
- drop the copter and had to fix the fuselage split at the nose and polish it up and spray it again.
- grabbed the back end while one of the number decals was still soft from the decal set
- the only decals I didn’t use Solvaset on silvered really bad (NAVY on doors). I guess the use of a gloss acrylic paint didn’t stay that glossy
The copter was painted, decalled, and overcoated with Testor’s dullcoat. The orange actually looks pretty good all said and done. It was a real pain putting in all of those windows and one fell out while I was trying to remove the masking which made for some fun.
Other than a quick burnt umber wash there was no weathering done on this.
I was going to start the H-19 next in same antarctic colors but I had some much fun I’m going back to 1/48 scale for a couple of kits (Tamiya Corsair and Monogram Devastator). I’ve been dying to try out my Vallejo US Navy colors.
Finished the two main colors of the Huey over the Mother’s Day weekend (in and amongst Mom slave day – another post maybe!)
I am building a set of 1/72 Antarctic helicopters, the Huey is first. Markings will be based on the set of Max Decals. The sheet covers quite a number of 1/72 Antarctic helo markings.
After sanding out all of the gaps I sprayed black, taped her up, and got ready to spray Model Master Acrylic International Orange. That is when I realized the tail rotor warning decals did not come with the yellow band and I had to apply that too!
Despite thining, the Model Master paint wound up going on a little thick to cover up the Mr. Surfacer I used to level the gaps. I debated whether to prime or not and got in a hurry and didn’t prime. The result was a thicker coat than I wanted and a few spots the tape pulled the paint up (which has not happened to me in a long time).
The overall orange looks pretty good however and I’ll be onto decaling and weathering right after a bit of touch up.
It’s been months since I blogged. So much of my free time is spent doing other things like Scouting and Study that I keep putting off going to the workspace and building. I build in the garage which, even though we are in Oregon, can still get pretty chilly in the winter. (always excuses)
We are rejoining the building of a UH-1D in antarctic markings using an AMT UH-1D in1/72 scale and the Antarctic copter decal sheet from MAX (see the previous post). Previously I was starting down the path to creating a cockpit for this but I found an Eduard etch set that, while more established for the UH-1N version seemed to work the few things I needed it for; instruments, seat belts, exterior tiny parts.
I have used the photo-etch as a pattern to create the cabin seating out of masking tape painted red. It is much more convincing than the etch and required I create supports for the tape using the etch “legs” to get it all together. I am happy with the results
Note the photo etch tie downs that I had to drill out pockets for. I have started the back seating arrangements.
Back seats are ready with some trimming. The whole assembly plus the engine unit are now ready for mounting inside the fuselage.
Next steps sanding the seams and getting some black on her.