H-19 in Antarctic Markings

Completed another Antarctic helicopter using the great decals from Max Decals.  The first kit can be reviewed here;

Huey is Done

This kit is from the Italeri 1/72 Sikorsky H-19B Chickasaw using the Eduard photo-etch set.  The Eduard set is nice and provides a ton of parts for the interior and exterior however very little of the interior will be seen.  (But it was still fun to build!)

Interior cockpit followed the normal photo-etched seat belts and instrument panel plus some other fiddly bits.  As you will see in completed photos this really added a nice look to the cockpit since it sits up really high and is visible.  The cabin etch provided a complete left wall and ceiling, plus the stuff to model the passenger netting.  It all looked pretty good until I closed it up; very little can be seen – but I know it’s there.

Because of the cabin etch a little bit of work was needed to get the whole thing to close up.  Once done and the tail boom attached we discover we have a putty queen on our hands.  Not a lot of work but had to be done.

After she went together and was sanded up a shot of primer and a coat of Floquil International Orange.  I still have a few bottles of that great old stuff around.  Covers like a dream!

After dried, a couple of coats of future and the decals went on great and settled down with a bit of Solvaset.  When I did the Huey in the previous Antarctic build I painted it with an International Orange Acrylic and didn’t think I needed future/Solvaset and had some silvering in the decals.  These looked perfect after a coat of Testors Dullcoat.

I have one more Antarctic copter to do from this decal set, the Italeri H-34.  I put it in the todo pile but I need an Fw-190 fix; maybe after that.  It will make it a trio of Antarctic copters.  These Max Decals are recommended!

 

Advertisements

Double (double) Century series

After completing the CF-104 (last summer – many moons have passed) I was inspired to add yet another couple of two seat century series; an F-100F and F-105G, both in Wild Weasel configurations.  Both of these kits gave me the chance to use some old Floquil ‘Nam camouflage paints I have been storing for just this moment.  I’ve had them for 15 plus years!

The Trumpeter F-100F is a wonderful kit, the first Trumpeter kit I have built.

I used the Aires F-100F set for the cockpit and was pretty pleased with the result.  This set wasn’t quite a fiddly as the Backbox F-105G and contained some nice photo etch.  As you can see the pit looks pretty good inside the fuselage shell.

      

Next up was the venerable Monogram F-105G.  I left the panel lines raised on this one, different from the F-105D I had built earlier in which I rescribed the panels.  The cockpit set was very nicely detailed but was a bit fiddly to add all of the parts.  No photo etch with this set.

  

Both aircraft were painted with the ‘Nam colors previously described –  freehand.  I am surprised I waited so long to do a ‘Nam camo as these were a staple in my earlier modeling years.  The FLoquil paints were fabulous.  I sure am sorry Testors pulled the plug on them.

F-100F armament comes from two of the Hasegawa sets, and the Monogram kit had it’s own.

A nice couple of 1/48 two seat Century Series to add to my collection.  I now have single-seat F-100 through F-106 and two-seat F-100F, CF-104D, F-105G, and F-110 (Phantom) with an F-106B waiting in the on-deck circle!