That’s the number of kits I have on the model shelves.
I needed to condense the models on the shelves so that I could get more on them. They were also sharing the space with a lot of cat fur and dust so I decided to take the slew of them down, clean them and the shelves, and put them back on the shelves.
I took these photos of the lot parked on the dining room table, cleaned waiting for clean shelves. I was happy didn’t need to toss any of them.
I built these over about 12 years. I have one in here that is about 25 years old and a complete set of Monogram 1/48 Century Series fighters.
The Kingfisher is done! I’ve been working on this build since March 15th and it is nice to see how well it turned out. I built one of these as a kid (I built ALL of the Monogram 1/4″ kits in my youth) so this was fun. I actually still have another bagged one to donate to some kid in the future.
I used the Lone Star Cockpit for this build and it was a pretty good fit. Lots of additional plastic butchering needed to be done to use it but the results were worthy.
I additional I learned ;
using clear resin to model water
more brass soldering (the boarding ramp structure was soldered together – had a really hard time until I used guide wire to hold it all together)
don’t drop an open bottle of Steel Model Master paint on your shoes
Managed to get the clear resin water into the Kingfisher diorama. I decided to use the clear resin I bought at the craft store with a touch of acrylic paint to tint it. It doesn’t take much paint to tint the resin.
I spent most of the day adding about 2 oz. of resin at a shot to the diorama, letting it spread out on it’s own. It has about 8 oz. of resin added.
The model is being displayed of a Kingfisher on the beach at low tide. I still need to scratch build a boarding ramp.
I also got the “second coats” of paint on the Bf-110s. Tomorrow I will give them some future so that I can decal them.
Working in my garage over the last couple of days has been toasty, even going out about 9:30. This shot was taken at 11:00pm in the garage; uncharacteristically warm in Oregon for this time of year.
The Bf-110s have started down the painting process. One will be all black and the other will have an overspray of what seems to be RLM 76 and RLM 75 over it’s black. The decal sheet mentions that this aircraft had a field color application later in the war as the night fighter groups experimented with camouflage.
Can you tell which one is the Eduard and which is the Monogram?
The Kingfisher diorama is also starting to take shape. I have the sand on and some random plant life and we are ready for water over the weekend. Not sure if I am going to use acrylic gel or clear casting resin. Will think about that tomorrow.
Finally pushed through the Kingfisher. Once you get the model basically done it amazes me how much other stuff still needs to get added, painted, attached, etc. until the kits considered done. And I always forget something (still need to paint the nav light – okay it’s not done!). Here are some shots.
The model is in it’s future resting place after I add sand and water to the inside of the diorama box. But I think I’ll put it aside for a few days and get back to the summer of Messerschmitt. One Eduard and one Monogram kit are just about ready for painting. After having to fill and sand the Monogram kit I realized I was going to have to rescribe the fuselage, didn’t quite get away. I think I can still leave the wings with original raised lines. I want to see how the two kits compare when completed.
I’ve been plugging away at this kit. For a model that took me less than an hour to build when I was 13 it has provided many more hours of hobby time in my later years.
Below are a few shots;
Its been painted, paint chipped, has filter washes applied, white sun beaching wash and streaking, pastels to lighted and darken and add rust, and Testors dull coat.
All that needs to be done it to vacu-form a thinner rear middle canopy so that I can slide it open inside the monogram one. At this point, I will put the gun ring and rear gun left to complete, the antenna, and gun sight. I’m also making a beach base for it to sit in. More on that later.
Took out the old trusty Mattel Vac-u-form tonight. I think I’ve had this for 50 years and I still use it once in awhile to make thinner canopies. How it works is you heat up a clear sheet of plastic in the heating chamber and once soft, flip it over the original and start manually pumping a vacuum handle which pulls down the clear over the mold and sucks it down. The heating element either doesn’t get fully hot enough in the time from of my patience or it’s old so I augment the heating of the plastic with my mini soldering torch to make the plastic softer.
I also vacu-formed the thick clear canopy for the Monogram Bf-110 I am building so it will be thin enough to cut open.
A quick update on the Kingfisher. After adding paint chipping by hand I added blue/teal/green filter washes over the upper surfaces. Filter washes as discussed before start with very small dots of oil paint which is then spread around the surface in a small area with turpentine and excess whisked away with a brush. It breaks up the painted surface.
Here are a few pictures. Next step is to do the same with small dots of white to fade the upper surface and add a sun weathered appearance.
Next I have been spending some time taking a cockpit from and Eduard Bf-110 and converting it into a old Monogram Bf-110. I was amazed how well it fit. Here is what the cokpit from 1967 would look like if I built the kit almost 50 years ago…
And today I have put the Eduard cockpit into the kit and I am amazed at how well it fit. I haven’t closed up the Monogram kit yet but will do that later this evening!
After this, complete gluing the wings of the Monogram kit to the fuselage and I’ll have two kits to paint black; one modern, one from yesteryear.