Messerschmitts decalled and started weathering

A quick update on the Bf-110s;

They have decals and I have started weathering.

IMG_0930 IMG_0931

For weathering both have a blue and green oil dot filters applied.  It didn’t look that well on the black but highlighted the RML76 on the gray 110 well.

I tried a light gray wash on the Black one and then streaked it with white oil paint.  I still need to do a bit more airbrush streaking with various black/gray shades.

On a side note, I counted my shades of gray and only have 19.  I’m not sure what that guy with 50 shades is modeling.

IMG_0847

The RLM 76 oversprayed kit was given a pin wash of dark gray then subtly filter washed with burnt sienna to give it a slightly “dirty” shade.  I will need to do more weathering in the next few days while I finish landing gear and other parts that need to be added.

Decals are from OWL (72013); same sheet for both kits.  The sheet also contains complete markings for a Bf-110G4 and I’m tempted to get the Eduard overtree for that kit and build it with my Hasegawa Me-262B to finish off the summer of Messerschmitts.

IMG_0932

The tail of two cockpits continues

After a couple of days off I went back to work on the ProModeler F4U-5N and Monogram Kingfisher cockpits.

The F4U kit comes with two instrument decals for it’s instrument panel.  I don’t think I’ve seen this done before where you paint the panel black and apply just the white highlights in a decal.  Here is a shot of the other (non-radar) panel decals.

IMG_0309

I took the other copy and, using my trusty Waldron punch set, knocked out each instrument and applied them individually to the panel.  Seem to look okay and was better than painting them but might still be lacking that little something.

IMG_0308

 

We’ll have to see how it looks inside the plane.

Started weathering both cockpits; applying a raw umber wash and once dry tomorrow they’ll get pastels and dry brushing.  Looking forward to sealing both kit’s fuselages up as I think the builds will go really fast after that.  (Note the painted kingfisher panel for a different look than the decals!)

IMG_0312 IMG_0313

 

Grubbing up the F-84

Well, I managed to get most of the decals on. I normally don’t do stencils but hey, I was on a roll here. A couple of evenings and a decal count in the 80s the bird was ready for weathering (making grubby)

IMG_0326

IMG_0327
I use a raw umber oil color for what’s fondly called a “sludge wash”. Idea here is to get some color into the panel lines and to break up the monotone of a single color (it will leave residual color). Mix it with turpentine and you have liquid grubby.

IMG_0329

IMG_0330
I now liberally cover the model with this color, and after it sets a bit, take a clean paper towel and wipe it off in the direction of the airflow.

IMG_0331

IMG_0334
I usually apply a coat of future before I do this to protect the paint, but the Alclad is tough and can take it. But I forgot that the Model a Master wasn’t and I rubbed off some of the anti-glare panel, and had to re-airbrush it.

IMG_0336

IMG_0338
Next, some more grunge in the form of pastels

Weathering time

Time to start weathering the Bf-109.  Not quite sure exactly what I’m going to do yet but as I always do, start with a sludge wash on burnt umber.

Make a wash of burnt umber oil paint and odorless mineral spirits, apply liberally, and after I let it sit (while I airbrushed the F-84 cockpit) wipe it away with a clean cloth in the direction of airflow.  Seems pretty simple…

IMG_1385 IMG_1384

IMG_1386

The two issues I had were the one part that never made it to future coating had the paint wiped away at the same time and I broke off one of the slats holding it by the wing.

IMG_1387-001

I think next up is going to be some oil dot weathering then I need to figure out a way to “bleach” the upper surfaces since the real thing was parked in the desert sun most of the time.

Stay tuned..