Italeri H-21C in 1/48 scale build

The Flying Banana.  Yet another heavier than air machine from my youth.  I used to think that the twin rotors were so cool compared to the other helicopters of the day.

Receive this from my daughter for Christmas.  She and my wife have been great making Christmas special with a kit or two

I am building this out of the box.  The kit, although well designed, is simple.  Italeri has provided a few perks like photo etch seatbelts and some grating and engine bay details but generally, the overall insides are simple.  Given all the space exposed, there is a real opportunity for making a really cool super-detailed model of this kit but that’s not in the cards for me for this one.  There are other kits to get to.

The cockpit and insides build up pretty quickly after some painting.  There is a boatload of ejector pin towers and recesses that would need to be dealt with to make this a super kit.

The engine compartment is also visible on the real aircraft so Italeri provides a rudimentary engine and bulkheads for the rear of the helicopter including a grating on the top and doors that can be positioned open on the bottom.  Again, a canvas for the AMS modeler.

Here is the interior mostly put together.

Before I can put the interior together I need to put the 9 oval windows in from the inside and I want them masked.  I tried first to put a piece of masking tape over the hole where the windows go and then cut out the mask shape but the results are too jagged.  Instead, I use my favorite window masking agent, Parafilm.  Cut a small piece of Parafilm, stretch it out, apply it to the window then carefully trim off the excess.

I will then mount the windows and after painting the Parafilm will just peel off.  It’s magical!

Next up, sealing her up!

Advertisements

Finshed painting

Was good to get a few minutes in the garage today.  It’s been such a nice sunny day and being its Valentines Day and all it was good going out with the lovely bride most of the day.  After cooking a great meal it was time to spend some Saturday night time on the bench.

I decided to add some darker aluminium to a few panels.  When I started out my first thought was to do a dozen or so but after I got started I sort of went  “Meh” and only did a few.  I really want to get this one moving along to meet my 2 a month goal this year.

I used parafilm to mask a few panels.  If you don’t know this it’s like a thick saran wrap that needs to be stretched to use, almost a wax.  Once it has been stretched it has amazing sticking properties and it can be cut well with a sharp knife.  Stretch-stick-cut and peel away and you have an area masked for painting.  The panels on the wing were masked with good old masking tape. (Alclad is so nice to mask against.  I remember having NMF paint jobs peel up trying to mask on top of them)

IMG_0082  IMG_0085

I also decided to tackle the olive drab anti-glare panel tonight.  The kit comes with decals for this but they are too shiny.  This needs to be flat.

IMG_0087

Next is decaling.  I’m going to be interested in how complex it will be to place the rudder markings and get them to settle down and look painted.  Time will tell.

IMG_0088