Monogram F-4 progress

Cockpit is almost done, working on the canopy fit, seams filled up nicely on the nose and I have painted it black. I used the new TruColor line of pints here for the first time and they cover well without thinning.

TruColor is supposed to be a replacement for my old Floquil line and the first try with black was good.


Next are the inlets I have been working to fair into the model. Starboard side looks good but I see I have some more putty to make for the port intake.



Rear end is painted Alcad dark aluminum in prep for eventual painting. Seams look good here as well.


Thanks for checking in. Got to keep reducing the universe’s entropy one glue joint at a time.


Those darn F-4 intakes

Those darn side intakes!  From the F-102, F-104, and F-106 I’ve had to align intakes that don’t fit very well and the Monogram F-4D is no exception.  Although I will say that they have it pretty darn close. This issue with this kit is the intake fit very well, well mostly, but there is absolutely nothing to see up the intakes.  Now I could have gone and purchased a seamless suckers upgrade but the problem is they are made for the Hasegawa and I have already been hard pressed to fit a KMC cockpit upgrade the Hasegawa kit into the Monogram and I think that enough for one model. So I am trying a simple hack on this one.  I found shot taken up the F-4 intakes on the internet, scaled and printed them out, cut them out, and put them at the back of the intake.  I’ll bet not very many folks ever even look that deep but at least now there is something there (see photos); F-4D_0011


I have the intakes on and using my favorite intake adjuster (Milliput putty) there has been some progress on the kit.  Note that the fuselage seams have been smoothed and hit with a coat of Mr. Surfacer to check for seams issues.  Starting to look like a spook! F-4D_0009 F-4D_0008 Next stop back to the cockpit for some instrument wiring and canopy fitting. Hope your modeling days are fruitful!

F-4D Cockpit work continues

I got the cockpit coaming on the F-4.  I have been amazed at how well a set for the Hasegawa kit fits on the Monogram F-4.  Usually I have to cut fit repeat but this one went on very well.

I checked the fit of the canopies against the installed cockpit and things are looking pretty good there too.

The only issue you can see tonight is the paint applied to the coaming had the nerve to start coming off; that after I painted it dark gull gray, then checked my reference and repainted it engine black.  I took a bit of thinner and a paper towel and carefully took much of the paint off.  I will paint it as again as I finish the fuselage.


Next steps are to do some work on the fuselage seams.  Other then a mismatch and gap on the built in tailhook, even the fuselage went together without any really big issues that need addressing.  And since I rescribed this thing it should be easier to restore the panel lines after sanding the seams.

Till then, keep the glue off your shoe.