A-20 Havoc just putty in my hand

This is  a continuation from a previous post which can be referenced here https://wp.me/p3DBTC-iP

The A-20 build continues.  I am at the point where I need to fill the seams and prime.  Although this kit went together well there were a few areas the needed attention

In order to get the nose section to fit the rear section, I needed to glue each respective nose piece to its side of the fuselage.  This allows you to align the parts together.

The trade-off is that the nose section no longer closes completely and the transparency on the front which cements to the nose section is suddenly not wide enough.  Using a medical clamp I had to squeeze the nose section just ever so slightly and then cemented the canopy on and it mostly fit.

I use Milliput medium grade putty.  Mix the two pieces together, apply, take a cotton swab with water and smooth it out, and some light sanding at the end.  The application with the cotton swab has made it very easy to get the putty into the places it needs to be without having to do a lot of sanding later.  If you look at where the vertical joins the horizontal in this picture you can see a light bit of putty pressed in and smoothed over with a cotton swab.

Finally had to put the gear together before I could add the nacelles which will require some masking over the gear when painting.  The gear is very intricate and looks nice once the nacelles are on.  There isn’t much else inside the nacelles unless you want to pop for Eduards A-20 interior set.

Next lots of transparency masking.

Advertisements

Kinetic F-21 mostly assembled – seam cleanup on aisle 9

As predicted, once the cockpit was painted and ready for the kit assembly went quick.

IMG_0213 IMG_0211

We are into the putty and seam management phase of the project.  Most the seam of this kit are pretty good.  The covers over the air inlets have been my biggest issue.  I tried putting them together carefully but one of them set up wierd and will require some putty and sanding, I hope I can preserve the detail.

IMG_0200 IMG_0201

That is the worst.  the wings went to the fuselage pretty good.  I used an old trick I learned on the DML Fw-190 kits; you first fit and glue the upper wing pieces to the fuselage and manange that so there are no gaps, then you glue the lower wing unit on and glue the upper and lower wings together.  This give you a better shot at no gaps on the upper wings and the act of stretching the upper wings to attach correctly to the lower wing can pull the fuselage apart ever so slightly and help with the dihedral.

IMG_0211 IMG_0212

I’ve added the milliput putty I use to a few spot.  I mix both parts, use a metal spatula to apply, then smooth with a wet Q-tip and take off any excess.  This works better than plastering the thing up and then sanding for an hour later.

IMG_0207

We should be ready for sanding and cleanup tomorrow and start painting moving into the week.  I still have to add the canopy and wing flaps before painting.

As a funny note, I got into a hurry and upon gling the wing I realized I forgot the engine front at the end of the intakes so you can see straight through.  A long brass rod pushed into a hole in the back of the engine face and placed way into the kit fixed that.  Whew!

IMG_0205 IMG_0206

 

Those darn F-4 intakes

Those darn side intakes!  From the F-102, F-104, and F-106 I’ve had to align intakes that don’t fit very well and the Monogram F-4D is no exception.  Although I will say that they have it pretty darn close. This issue with this kit is the intake fit very well, well mostly, but there is absolutely nothing to see up the intakes.  Now I could have gone and purchased a seamless suckers upgrade but the problem is they are made for the Hasegawa and I have already been hard pressed to fit a KMC cockpit upgrade the Hasegawa kit into the Monogram and I think that enough for one model. So I am trying a simple hack on this one.  I found shot taken up the F-4 intakes on the internet, scaled and printed them out, cut them out, and put them at the back of the intake.  I’ll bet not very many folks ever even look that deep but at least now there is something there (see photos); F-4D_0011

  F-4D_0010

I have the intakes on and using my favorite intake adjuster (Milliput putty) there has been some progress on the kit.  Note that the fuselage seams have been smoothed and hit with a coat of Mr. Surfacer to check for seams issues.  Starting to look like a spook! F-4D_0009 F-4D_0008 Next stop back to the cockpit for some instrument wiring and canopy fitting. Hope your modeling days are fruitful!