This is the third Antarctic helicopter build in the collection, all based on the great decal set Antarctic Helicopters Part 1 from Max Decals.
The other two builds can be found in these posts;
The kit went together reasonably well. I wasn’t after super detailing but I did use some of the Eduard photo-etch set for the kit, mostly in the cockpit and rotors.
The cockpit and interior were detailed and painted up, but very little can be seen once the kit is buttoned up. This is actually good because the inside of the kit is an ejection pin mark convention. The Huey of this scale was more open and the H-19 at least had cockpit windows the could be shown open, for this kit I wouldn’t put a lot of effort into it.
I also decided to use the kits web backing for the interior seats as the Eduard etch has no details (and again, you really can’t see it buttoned up).
The etch however did come with a lot of mesh for those sections of the helo that was open up. I cut out a lot of the plastic from underneath where the mesh would go so it would be open. A super detailer might want to recess this a bit, but not on this build for me.
The ki was painted in international orange from my old bottle of Floquil paints (the paint brand of my youth). The paint is getting old enough that it is hard to get the paint/thinner mix right, but the color looks nice.
After paint, helo was given a couple of coats of Future Floor Wax and decals applied a few days after the future cured. The decals are pretty simple, markings only, and settled down nicely with an application of Solvaset.
Afterward a bit of weathering with a raw umber oil wash and then some pastels to grub it up a bit. I think the end results look good and it looks nice next to its other Antarctic buddies.