Messing around with Messerschmidtts

In my last post I was working on putting squiggles on a 1/72 Bf-110.  Even though the true camo calls for some very tight olive squiggles on sand I  decided to play around with Blu-tack and create some myself.  It was very hard to roll this stuff out fine enough to duplicate the real camo so I decided to go for more of a relaxed look.  I think the very tight squiggles in 1/72 would probably need to be done with an olive colored wide pen.  Need to experiment more at some point but for now I am just trying to move the kit the along.

Here it is with a couple of coats of Future.  I’m waiting for the Future to cure then decals.

IMG_1249  IMG_1250

In the meantime I’ve started my next big build of Messerschmidts.  I mean big it is.  I’m normally not a 1/32 scale guy but I’ve had these kits hanging around for awhile and I’m ready to build them;

IMG_1054

Starting with the engines of each, the Matchbox 109E kit has about 25 parts associated with the engine.  The parts come in all assorted colors of of multiple trees but once it is paited you’ll never see it.

The other two have exactly the same parts for the engine although different colors, probably 30 years apart, and strangely on different sprues.  Also note the relative size of the Matchbox 109E engine compared to the Revell 109F/G engines.

IMG_1247   IMG_1246

IMG_1248   IMG_1251

Sadly while looking through the old Revell 190G kit I noticed that it does not contain a propeller or spinner.  Looks like I got the old eBay stiff a ways back and just now am catching on.  But adversity presents challenges.  I think I am going to have to figure out how to resin cast the prop and vacu-form the spinner.  Time will tell the the “G” is propless.

 

Advertisements

Messerschmitt squiggles

I’ve been working on the third Eduard Bf-110 I’ve built this summer and I am working on the desert scheme.  The decals for this kit from Owl show a very fine sets of squiggles; olive over sand.  Other than getting an olive colored pen and drawing them on I’m not sure I get them as fine as the pictures in 1/72 but I am trying something new.

IMG_1182

My newly discovered fondness for the blue poster tack has led me into rolling this into fine strings and using this to mask the squiggles.  After painting the kit Olive I am rolling this and adding it to the kit.  Once I get it all done I will clean it up a bit with some tweezers and spray sand.

IMG_1183   IMG_1185

The main issue I have is that it is about 85 in the garage tonight and it make the blue stuff really tacky so it sticks to everything but the model.  But it’s starting to look good.

Bf-109 ready for the shelf

Number two is done for the year.  I created a simple display base for it, since I didn’t know what to do with the cowling.  Here are some shots;

IMG_1417  IMG_1415 IMG_1418

The grasses on the side were an experiment to see what they looked like and add some change to the boring single color.  I used model railroad ballast for the desert floor.  After I ran the leftover piece of MDF through the router to give the edge a curve I anchored the grass, put glue around that area and added fake grass, then once that had set more glue and just poured on the ballast.  Pretty simple but adds so much to a finished model (I’ve noted that many of the kits at the local contest that win seem to have display bases attached)

Continued tonight to work on the ProModeler F-84 cockpit.  The kit comes with some nice photo etch for seat straps but gosh they are fiddly and these four straps have used up over one hour of modeling time.

IMG_1419

Bf-109e Trop is painted (mostly)

Concurrently with the P-61 I have been building a Hasegawa Bf-109e Trop to try out an unusual camouflage.  This is going to be the start of my desert themed 1/48 scale kits.

Paint is on, I have a little bit of touchup to do then this too will be ready for decals.  I think I am going to try decals without Future on this.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

For the Dark Green (RLM 71) I found a bottle of ancient Floquil model pints and it was thin enough to airbrush without thinner.  Ah, the days!

This is turning out to be a nice kit and the first aircraft I have built in ages that wasn’t a Monogram 1/48 scale kit that I rescribed the panel lines.  There might be help for me yet!