Bf-109 ready for the shelf

Number two is done for the year.  I created a simple display base for it, since I didn’t know what to do with the cowling.  Here are some shots;

IMG_1417  IMG_1415 IMG_1418

The grasses on the side were an experiment to see what they looked like and add some change to the boring single color.  I used model railroad ballast for the desert floor.  After I ran the leftover piece of MDF through the router to give the edge a curve I anchored the grass, put glue around that area and added fake grass, then once that had set more glue and just poured on the ballast.  Pretty simple but adds so much to a finished model (I’ve noted that many of the kits at the local contest that win seem to have display bases attached)

Continued tonight to work on the ProModeler F-84 cockpit.  The kit comes with some nice photo etch for seat straps but gosh they are fiddly and these four straps have used up over one hour of modeling time.

IMG_1419