I finished painting the Typhoon. I’ve been trying to push the end of the year builds so anything that might show up under the tree can be fair game to get started.
I used a combination of things I haven’t tried before; Blu-tack for masking the color boundaries and Vallejo Model Air paint.
The blu-tack is rolled out into long strings and flattened. It is then pressed onto the aircraft as a masking guide for the paint. As you paint along the edge of the blu-tack it forms a soft edge camo separation from the other colors. I used this very effectively on an F-21 Kfir I built a few years back. You can see the article here
This time the results were not as easy as the blu-tack and the Vallejo reacted by leaving a lot of residues which discolored the Vallejo. You can see the process and the results in these photos…
After fiddling around with it I found good old mineral spirits were able to take the residue away but also removed a small amount of paint which showed through to primer where the paint was thin.
As a good side effect (which I’ll remember) is rubbing down the Vallejo paint job with mineral spirits gave it a nice faded look. I might use this as a weathering step in the future.
The kit is now ready for a shot of future and decals.