Wow, it’s November!

My last post was in June.  I just finished the TBD that I started early summer.  Normally I finish 7 or 8 kits per year, this year two so far.  I have to get moving here over the next month and 1/2.

Per my last post I am building an old Monogram TBD I found in a bag on eBay.  It turned out to be pretty good kit considering it’s age.  I didn’t put too much work into it other than rescribing the fuselage panel lines.  The extra work was around the corrugated wing panels which requires some fancy work on the leading edge with a round file between the raised detail to get rid of the seam.

The new thing to try was a concerted effort at pre-shading. The corrugated wing panels called out for it.  After decanting some primer from a spray can and using the airbrush to prime I used a dark grey to fill in the depressions around the ribbing as well as highlighting other areas.  Remember the pre-shading is designed to provide contrast when the paint is put on the model.  Here’s a view of pre-shading…

I used Vallejo Model Air to cover the model.  For this particular model the paint went on very well and the pre-shading highlights turned out great.

Decals were the Starfighter “TBD-1 Devastators in War Paint” and represent Ensign Gay’s famous aircraft in the battle of Midway.

A quick raw umber wash to dirty it up a bit and we are done.

Now to get crackin’ and get a few more done by the end of the year.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s