The F4U-5N is done and on the shelf! Finished up her landing gear and stores last night and antenna and a few last tweeks tonight.
What did I learn from this build?
- Dialed back the salt weathering a bit on this and it doesn’t look bad
- Used micromask and salt paint chipping on one of the fuel tanks to look like it’s lost a lot of paint and that turned out well
- Used one color engine black paint and with weathering the color looks pretty good. I used a multi-black approach on the P-61 earlier and I think the single color did okay
- I discovers that a raw umber wash on flat black doesn’t show up
- I tried a white oil paint wash to lighten up the upper surfaces and sun fade the topsides and after the Testor’s Dullcoat it turned out okay
- Don’t use the really runny super glue straight from the bottle 🙂 I tried to quickly fix the antenna and the glue ran down the side of the airplane, requiring a quick paint touch up!
Here are some finished shots for my 5th model this year. Getting a bit behind the two models a month quest!