Gosh it’s been awhile since I posted. I’ve been working steadily on the F4U, sometimes only 30 minutes at a shot but I am making progress (and on the Kingfisher too!).
After painting it black I put a couple of coats of Future on the kit in preparation for decals. I usually hand brush the Future since I haven’t had good results with the airbrush. Maybe someday I’ll get that process down but the hand brushing seems to work, I just have to make sure I work the bubbles out of the coat. Time for the decals..
After putting on the decals it was time to grub it up a bit. This time I worked in three filter washes. First was my usual wash of raw umber thinned down and coated over most of the aircraft. I’m not sure what effect it has on an all black aircraft as it wasn’t as apparent as it usually is.
Next I applied a couple of shade of blue and did a dot wash. This is where you take a dot of oil paint (just the touch of a toothpick) and then use a brush filled with thinner to spread it around in just one are of the model. The idea is to break up the monotone color. I just used blue this time to kind of blue up the black paint.
Finally I have been pondering how to get a faded look for an aircraft that spent a lot of time sitting in the sun. I used my oil filter wash by putting some streaks of white oil pint on the kit and then gradually spreading it out and removing some with a thinner soaked brush. The idea was to streak wash the kit so it not only faded but had the effect of weather running down the sides. The photo look like I did too much but as you will see when I finish with pastels and overcoat the effect is more subtle.
The it was time for pastels. Various shades of grey from a dark charcoal to a light great were applied randomly around the frame. I also used a few shades of brown along where pilots and mechanics would walk, as well as around the lower part of the aircraft subject to ground dirt.
Last a coat of Testors Dullcoat, which does a good job of darkening and dampening down the effects of the weathering a bit.
And here she is waiting for the final attachment of sub assemblies.