Weather done, Bf-109 almost finsihed

Last night I put on an oil filter wash.  If you haven’t done this before it produces some very nice color variation on top of your camo.

Start with a coat of future (done in previous posts).  Then put small dots of oil paint color all over the model.  I basically bought a small really cheap starter oil paint sets at a craft store and I have a life time supply of these colors.  I keep experimenting with different colors; on this model I used blue, green, yellow, and white.  As you’ll see in the photos latter it gave the model a real green tint to parts of it.  These colors work well on olive drab but I might try something a bit different next time I use Luftwaffe colors.

Once the dots are on, take a soft brush dipped in mineral spirits and spread the dots out in their area of the model.  As you spread them out you will keep dipping your brush in the spirits and cleaning it off on a paper towel so that you are removing most of the paint.  The idea here is to put a small thin coat of color on a small area of the camouflage and as you move around the model with different colors it will produce subtle color variation in your camo.

IMG_1390 IMG_1391

I then take a paper towel dipped in spirits and wipe down most of the aircraft pulling up as much paint as I can and, by wiping in the direction of the airflow, giving the filter a sense of direction.

Tonight, after the filter had dried for a day, I then used aluminium pain, added some chipping, and then used a number of various brown and gray pastels to basically grub up the aircraft.  After a coat of Testors Dullcoat to lock it all in I have now added most of the other bits.  Tomorrow night I’ll open and complete the canopy and add the antenna and I’ve got a 109 in my collection

IMG_1401 IMG_1398 IMG_1399 IMG_1400

I have also included a side by side of the Hasegawa with an old Monogram 109 I messed around with a few years back.

IMG_1403

Years ago the Monogram 109 was the first model I ever put a camouflage on.  I was in 7th grad, bought it with lawn mowing money at a local Ben Franklin, and followed the directions called to paint the bottom of the model gray (green upper surface being the color of the plastic).  I was hooked and still trying new things on plastic.

Thanks for looking!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s